Friday, November 4, 2011

Weenie, Pee Pee, Hot Dog? What do you call it?


This week on Up All Night, Reagan and Chris lovingly avoided referred to their daughter’s private parts.  Reagan's mother, a psychiatrist and published author on parenting, was horrified, telling Reagan that she must take the time to carefully christen her daughter's genitals- a name that inspires whimsy and pride- like she had done when baptising Raegan's vagina "Bobo".    
The episode inspired me to write an article for Babble about private parts- what we call them, how we talk to our kids about them, why we try to evade said talks.  The first step in my research was to ask my friends and family what terms they used to refer to "down there".  Thanks to my awesome friends,my Inbox was immediately flooded with words like "bits" and "winkie".
Even though the article is still a month or more away, I thought that I would share some of the nicknames now.  If you care to add yours, I would love the additional data!
Girls’ Front
Boys’ Front
Back
Petunia
Pajarito (little bird)
Tushie
Coochi
The Guys
Tush
Jay Jay
Weiner
Bootie
Fandango
Bits
Bum
Vee Vee
Pee Pee
Bum Bum
PoPo
Hot Dog
Bummy
Vagina/vulva
Penis
Bottom
Zizette (French)
Zizi (French)
Fesses
Girl Parts
Boy Parts
Fanny
Fanny (it’s an Australian thing)
Penis and the No No Berries

Kootchie
Ochinchin (Japanese)

Fu Fu
Winkie



1 comment: