Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Why I am Not an Attachment Parent

Halfway through my second trimester with my first daughter, my husband and I went to dinner with a couple who deemed themselves seasoned parents of a 5-year-old. "There are two types of parenting," the husband informed us, "Attachment or detachment parenting. You must choose one."

Not knowing what either term meant, nor little else about babies, I picked the obvious answer, "Oh, we definitely will be attached!"

Now, five and a half years later, I have learned that these veteran parents were wrong -- absolutely, completely, dead wrong. There is so much more room in the realm of parenting for different styles to be incorporated. And, I was wrong too, in the end I am not an "attachment" parent, yet still I am very far from detached.

No comments:

Post a Comment