Monday, December 19, 2011

Maybe Dora Does Teach Spanish Afterall

A few months ago I wrote a post about how Dora the Explorer  may not teach Spanish, but she sure is a great babysitter (also titled Why It's Really Not So Terrible To Let Your Toddler Watch TV).

Well, it turns out I was wrong.  While I still firmly believe that a little television here and there is not causing harm to my children (and I endorse it as an important parental sanity-saver), I may have prematurely judge Dora's teaching abilities- maybe the pint-sized explorer does teach our children a little Espanol.   

Last month my older daughter was home sick, the kind that left her lethargic and really sweet, and she spent the weekend lying on the couch watching Nick Jr. (ok, we read books too).  After the fourth continuous episode packed with Dora, Boots, Backpack, and Map, she excused herself to the bathroom and requested some alone time.  As she was sitting on the toilet trying to poop, I heard her talking to herself, “Abre, por favor! Abre!” 

1 comment:

  1. How cute! My husband and I have spent a lot of time learning spanish and hope to teach our daughter spanish as well. While we try not to do too much tv time, she does love Dora and many of the other spanish cartoons.

    http://spanish.dictionary.com/lessons/First%20encounter:%22%C2%A1Encantada!%22

    ReplyDelete