Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Real Cost of a Mommy-Getaway

Lately, life has been hard.  My husband has been traveling quite a bit, Maisy is going through an excruciatingly annoying phase where she insists on sporting one of three dresses and refuses to wear shoes, and Elana now exclusively addresses me as "Rhiana", even after I threatened to destroy every last one of her Rainbow Magic Fairy books!  Consequently, the circles underneath my eyes have grown darker and my "laugh lines" are deeper.  I needed to get away, if even only for a day.




The Memorial Day weekend provided me the perfect opportunity to take a small hiatus from all things maternal and marital.  Once I got the clearance from my family, I booked a room and coerced a friend to join.  By late Saturday morning we had packed our swimsuits and sun hats and were ready to kiss our little ones goodbye, leaving them in the capable hands of their (somewhat worried looking) fathers.  
But, what would this little excursion cost?  As a mother who rarely buys spends money on herself, I decided to keep a running tab for the trip.

   Cost of gasoline for two-hour car trip = $12
   Cost of not having to listen to Katy Perry on repeat during the entire drive = priceless

   Lunch for two at hotel restaurant = $40
   Enjoying a glass of wine at noon = priceless

   Spa pedicure complete with extra long foot massage = $45
   Not having to negotiate with my barefoot three-year-old to wear shoes = priceless

   Poolside margarita = $8
   Not sharing a waterbottle speckled with bits of toddler backwash = priceless

   Dinner at a trendy restaurant in downtown Sacramento = $80
   Dining at a restaurant that has never served chicken fingers = priceless

   50 minute full body massage = $90
   Being rubbed by someone who does not expect a happy ending = priceless

   One-night stay at Arden Hills resort = $260 (divided by two = $130)
   Being awoken to pure silence instead of, "Mommy- take off my stinky diaper!" = priceless

   Total cost of 34 hours of freedom = $395
   Total cost of 34 hours without having to remind anyone to wipe after they poop = PRICELESS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment